Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Top Ten Marvel Covers of All Time



Completely my own opinions, submitted without comment, off the top of my head.

10. Spectacular Spider-Man # 101 by John Byrne (April 1985)



9. Iron Man # 182 by Luke McDonnell and Steve Mitchell (May 1984)



8. Fantastic Four #4 by Jack Kirby and Sol Brodsky (May 1962)



7. Uncanny X-Men # 142 by John Byrne and Terry Austin (February 1982)



6. Captain America #200 by Jack Kirby and Frank Giacoia (August 1976)



5. Amazing Spider-Man #33 by Steve Ditko (Februrary 1966)



4. Daredevil #228 by David Mazzuccheli (March 1986)



3. The Mighty Thor #38 by Barry WIndsor-Smith (August 2001)



2. Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6 by Jim Steranko (November 1968)



1. Silver Surfer #4 by John and Sal Buscema (February 1969)




6 comments :

Mordwa said...

No Hulk 340? That's unpossible!

Zaki Hasan said...

Solid list. I dig it.

j said...

Totally agree with 1. I would have put Fantastic Four 1 on the list though, love that cover.

timoneil5000 said...

Yeah, FF #1 is iconic, obviously. It's a striking cover. But when I was looking over that run of early covers, it was #4 that really jumped out at me. The way they're all running right at the reader, the Thing and Sue's expressions, Namor's complete fuck-off attitude - I mean, there are three issues before, but I've always thought this was the one where everything finally clicked for the FF. They had the dynamic, they had the villain, they had the toe put ever so gingerly into the waters of a bigger universe. Everything clicks here, for me.

Jonathan Hamilton said...

I definitely agree with Daredevil #228. When I was a kid, I inherited a longbox full of Marvel stuff from 1984 through 1986. That issue of Daredevil was in there. I couldn't have been older than 8 or 9, and I remember reading that book and feeling that something very grown-up and serious and fascinating was happening even though I couldn't appreciate it. No matter how many times I read through the Secret Wars II tie-ins or the Puma appearances in that box, that cover and the story it hinted at stuck in my imagination.

peted76 said...

Good list, however I'd have to add in
McFarlanes 1991 Spider Man #1 - !!
Secret Wars #10 1984 - Doom's struggle personified.
Secret Wars #1 1984 - for the sheer kids comic'ness of that time.